
I wanted to read "The Other Boleyn Girl" by the same author, but someone had already borrowed it from the library. So I took this one instead. I wish I had waited for the other one.
Synopsis: Beatrice Lacey is has a privileged life growing up on the Wideacre estate. Rather than her sickly, bookish brother, she spends her days at the side of her father in the fields. She loves the land and estate above all, but it's the 18th century, and she will never inherit Wideacre. Her life becomes a web of sin and deception as she does whatever she can to gain the land she loves so much.
.
My Thoughts: I was hoping for an intriguing piece of historical fiction, but this turned out to be little more than a glorified romance novel. Aspects of the story were so disturbing, it was hard to get past them. Unfortunately, a character was introduced early on, and it was clear that he would return, and I was curious to see how things would turn out. 622 pages later, I wasn't very surprised ... but I was relieved to finally be finished with the book! There are two others in the series, but I won't waste my time on them. As for "The Other Boleyn Girl" ... I think I'll just see the movie.
.
rating: *
read: November - December 2008
source: English Language Library in Angers (borrowed)
2 comments:
Kerry, I read all three in this series, and agree, there are some parts that are VERY disturbing. I must say, though 'The Other Bolyen Girl' book was MUCH better than the movie. The movie was a yawn. The book was quite good, as was the next one 'The Queen's Fool'.
Thanks for the tip about "The Other Boleyn Girl". I may give the author a second chance and read it. It's always disappointing when a film adaptation doesn't live up to the book. (and they rarely do ...)
Post a Comment