Wednesday, November 12, 2008

COASTLINERS, Joanne Harris

This is not the first book of Joanne Harris' that I have read, and it's not my favorite, either. But I did enjoy it. I read the entire book during my hospital stay last week.

Synopsis: The story takes place on an island off the coast of France, in a region I have visited while living here. The island is small, and has only two villages. The inhabitants have a long-standing rivalry, and it's always been clear that one village is more successful than the other. The protagonist of the story returns to the island after and absence of ten years. She finds her father, as silent and moody as ever, and the villagers struggling with rising tides that threaten to take over the village completely.

My Thoughts: Too many characters were introduced early on, and (maybe it was because of the morphine) I had trouble throughout the book keeping them straight. The protagonist's character wasn't explored as deeply as it could have been, and there were a few scenes that were supposed to be romantic (I think) but ended up being too ambiguous to tell. Still, Harris writes well, plunging the reader into the environment of the story.


rating: ***
read: November 2008
source: English-Language Library in Angers (borrowed)

No comments: